I just came across this exercise suggested for seniors, to build muscle strength in the arms and shoulders. It seems so easy, so I thought I'd pass it on to some of my friends.
The article suggested doing it three days a week. Just don't overdo it.
- Begin by standing on a comfortable surface, where you have plenty of room at each side.
- With a 5-LB. potato sack in each hand, extend your arms straight out from your sides, and hold them there as long as you can.
- Try to reach a full minute, then relax.
- Each day, you'll find that you can hold this position for just a bit longer.
- After a couple of weeks, move up to 10-LB. potato sacks.
- Then 50-LB. potato sacks.
- Eventually try to get to where you can lift a 100-LB. potato sack in each hand and hold your arms straight for more than a full minute.
- After you feel confident at that level, put a potato in each of the sacks and start all over again..